Tips for Helping Your Implants Last
Dr. Maziar Shahzad Dowlatshahi is a highly experienced and skilled dental implant surgeon in Toronto. He has over 40 years of experience in implant dentistry, and has helped many patients regain their smile. With the help of his knowledge, we will discuss the best tips for dental implants care.
Plaque can build up around dental implants, causing bleeding gums, gingivitis, and other conditions that can make the healing process take longer, affecting the results of your procedure.
- Brush and floss – Brush and floss every day. Using a brush that can slide between your teeth can help clean the areas around your implant.
- Brush With a Soft Nylon Brush – We recommend brushing twice daily to remove bacterial plaque, using a soft nylon toothbrush. You may use a manual or electric toothbrush, but make sure the bristles are soft and pliable, to gently clean the surface of your crowns and implants.
- Avoid Abrasive Toothpaste and Dental Products – Try to stick with sensitive cleaning products that will prevent any discomfort. If there are specific ingredients that have a stronger presence such as mint, it may trigger a higher sense of intense feelings after.
- Visit the dentist regularly – Don’t skip out on your check-ups. Regular cleanings help your implant—and other teeth—stay healthy and strong.
- Avoid hard food – Chewing on hard foods such as ice or hard candy can cause your crown to break.
- Gum Stimulators – Stimulators help strengthen gum tissue by increasing circulation of blood and oxygen to the area, while also massaging the gums, which reduces bleeding and inflammation.